I’ve started a new art project / game over on Instagram that I’m calling #paintmechickenpants
I want to play with making more fun, looser portraits, and to kick perfectionism to the curb. So, I’m inviting people to submit their pet photos to #paintmechickenpants and I will maybe draw them. It’s going to be imperfect, guys. Let me just get that out of the way right here. I tend to pour too much into each and every portrait, chasing after the elusive “perfect” image, which is why I tend not to do them. I’m trying to get better! Hence, this project. All pets are welcome! Not just pugs, and not just dogs. Kitties? Beloved chickens? Bold beta fish? Yes, yes, yes.
I’ll draw as many as I can while I can. In practice this will mean drawing about one a day, most days. There’s no obligation to buy your portrait. But you totally can if you want! And if you choose to pass (which is totally fine!), I will probably then list it for sale to the general public.
I’m using this as a chance to pay with different media and techniques, so each one will likely be pretty different from the last one. Think of it as a surprise / grab bag… painting. That’s a thing now. I’m making it a thing, right now.
Here’s how it works:
– On Instagram, tag your photo with #paintmechickenpants (No Instagram? That’s ok. You can also email me the photo. I’m claire at chickenpants dot com) Please also @ me (@chickenpants) so I have a better chance of seeing your post. It’s getting crazy in there!
– I’ll paint one a day(-ish)
– Once it’s painted, I’ll DM you (or email back if you emailed me) letting you have the first look and option to buy.
– Then it gets posted to IG and the game continues!
– I may stop doing this project at any time.
– Submitting your photo is not a guarantee of getting it painted. (If you’re definitely interested in buying your portrait, let me know! That helps me prioritize.)
– Did I mention that these are imperfect, fast, loose & sketchy? That’s what I’m aiming for, anyway.
– Prices are going to vary depending on complexity and size, but I’m trying to keep these affordable. (In the $30-40 range for a 5×7)
– My goal with each one of these is to loosen up, let go of perfectionism, and to capture the feeling of the animal. I want to create something fun and a little weird for you.
Want to play?
Tag me on Instagram!